Digital Commerce: Key Statistics
The new research, Digital Commerce: Key Trends, Sectors & Forecasts 2017-2021
, found that 2 core sectors will dominate the global digital commerce industry, in terms of transaction values:
- Remote payments for digital & physical goods
- Digital banking via bill payment services
Juniper forecasts that users of digital commerce services will reach 3 billion by 2021, or 40% of the global population, up from just 32% this year.
- Juniper has found that both the core sectors of digital & physical goods and digital banking will dominate the global digital commerce industry, in terms of transaction values, accounting for over half of global transaction values by 2021
- Juniper found that retailers, in particular, will grow usage of conversational interfaces across the period, to drive customer engagement and, ultimately, sales.
- In addition, digital banking will increasingly envelop a greater proportion of the global population, with adoption approaching 1 in 2 adults by 2021.
This infographic shows the total retail transaction values ($) for 2017 and the digital commerce users as a proportion of the global population (%) for 2016 & 2021.