Press Release: Internet Connected Cars to Exceed 90 Million by 2016 with Smartphones Playing a Pivotal Role
Hampshire, UK - 13th March 2012: The integration of the smartphone into consumer vehicles will
become all but standard on new models, finds a new report by Juniper Research, which forecasts that 92 million vehicles will
feature technology to integrate the smartphone into the head-unit by 2016.
New Standards Drive the Market
New protocols such as MirrorLink from the Connected Car Consortium will help automotive manufacturers like Mercedes and Toyota follow Ford in introducing technology which allows the smartphone to become hub, enabling mobile internet, smartphone app and content access across the range of vehicles that they sell.
"Integrating the smartphone into consumer cars represents a new route for the mobile Internet and infotainment to enter the vehicle," says report author Anthony Cox. The report notes that the main inhibitor for this form of telematics will be limited growth in the automotive market over the next five years, particularly in developed regions.
Further findings from the report include:
· Commercial telematics is seeing sustained take-up, driven by its promise of increasing driver efficiency and managing costs.
· Regulatory initiatives such as the eCall driver safety project and Brazil's regulation 245 governing stolen vehicles will boost telematics take-up in some geographical regions.
· Though several insurance companies are trialling the technology, insurance telematics remains in its infancy with most widespread commercial roll-outs not happening until at least 2014.
In the commercial telematics market, Juniper Research observes an increasing level of sophistication as fleet managers use telematics to increase fleet efficiency, comply with regulations and monitor driver behaviour. Players are also leveraging the power of the cloud and internet portals to enhance the services they offer.
The whitepaper, ‘Telematics ~ The Route Ahead' and further details of the full study ‘Telematics & Smart Vehicles: Infotainment & Commercial Uses, Insurance & Vehicle Recovery 2012-2016' can be downloaded from www.juniperresearch.com.
Juniper Research provides research and analytical services to the global hi-tech communications sector, providing consultancy, analyst reports and industry commentary.
T: +44(0)1256 830 002
- Telematics & Smart Vehicles - Infotainment & Commercial Uses, Insurance & Vehicle Recovery 2012-2016
- The Telematics & Smart Vehicles Briefing 2012-2016